Reports to: Executive Vice President
Summary of Opportunity: The Greater Birmingham Association of Home Builders (GBAHB) is in search of a Governmental Affairs Director. This position will work to ensure that the industry can meet our region’s housing needs in a manner consistent with shared values. We also are a strong advocate for reducing or removing impediments that negatively impact the efficient and affordable production of housing. In addition, this position will play an integral role in promoting sustainable construction practices and help develop a skilled workforce to meet our industry’s needs. The ideal candidate can build upon the relationships with our local City, County and Metro governments, as well as numerous regional partners connected to housing, land use and other related issues.
• Successfully complete projects related to achieving Association policy objectives, as assigned.
• Keep informed of government action, which may impact the industry and promptly advise the executive vice president (EVP) of the same.
• Coordinate, promote, attend and facilitate all meetings and events so assigned by the EVP. Such meetings may include: 1) Council meetings, 2) Governmental Affairs committee meetings or hearings, 3) Technical meetings, 4) such other meetings as arranged by the HBA to discuss and achieve its policy objectives.
• Research and analyze regulations and legislation and write, or facilitate the writing of reports, in support of HBA policy objectives.
• Communicate industry positions to association members and government as assigned by the EVP.
• Work with the assigned Chairs to manage the affairs of the Committee/Council.
• Set the agenda, reports, report actions, etc. for assigned Committees/Councils.
• Self-directed and ability to work independently
• Experience in volunteer engagement, preferably in a trade association or similar environment.
• Existing relationships with metro Birmingham area, surrounding city and county governments.
• Some knowledge of residential building/development issues, including land supply, land development, building regulations and practices.
• Strong and effective written, oral, presentation and interpersonal skills.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Excellent computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Knowledge of Association structure and governance
• Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, Public Administration, Pre-law or a related field is desired or significant professional experience may be considered in lieu of educational background.
Summary of GBAHB: local non-profit trade association representing the residential building and remodeling industries in the Greater Birmingham area. The association has approximately 1300 members, a staff of 5, and a $1.6 million annual budget. Major activities include consumer shows (e.g. Spring Parade of Homes, Fall Parade of Homes and the Building & Remodeling Home Show), political and government affairs work, educational programs, business development activities and events, and public interest and relations efforts. GBAHB is affiliated with state (HBAA) and national (NAHB) home builders associations.
Application Requirements: Please include a cover letter that addresses your interest in the position and relevant highlights that match the position requirements listed above. Subject line of email submissions should state “Governmental Affairs Director interest” in order to ensure correct identification and handling. Direct application and resume submissions to:
Greater Birmingham Home Builders Association
Attn: Alicia Vincent, EVP
5000 Grantswood Road, Suite 240
Birmingham, AL 35210